This post is sponsored. This means we were asked to review or try something new, and then remunerated to share those thoughts. Since you are reading this post, it ALSO means that we enjoyed the experience. Friends don't let friends make false recommendations!
From the moment you saw that thin blue line show up, you’ve been hyper-aware of your pregnancy diet.
- Tuna? No thanks. Risk of too much mercury.
- Lunch meat? Have to skip it. Listeria can cause miscarriages.
- Caffeine? *stubborn silence*
We’ll skip the caffeine. There’s one thing, though, you really need to make sure your baby-factory is getting a lot of.
Put down that double cheeseburger, sister. That’s not the protein I’m talking about. I’m talking about collagen.
Your Pregnancy Diet:
Cheeseburger Protein vs. Collagen Protein
Cheeseburgers have protein, yes, but they also have a LOT of fat. And too much fat just isn’t your friend (or your baby’s). What’s so special about collagen protein?
Why Collagen Protein is Awesome for Pregnancy
- Your skin is being stretched beyond its normal size. Healthy elastic skin, improved by collagen, can prevent stretch marks.
- Your baby is going to pull nutrients out of your body and leave the leftovers for you. (Baby’s needs come first!) Adding extra protein to your diet will make sure you have enough of those leftovers to fuel your healthy body too.
- As baby gets bigger, your joints and bones are going to be under more stress. Collagen helps protect your bones and joints from the extra baby burden.
- It’s not uncommon for moms to lose more hair than normal in the 3rd trimester. A good collagen protein supplement can prevent that, giving you Pantene-jealous locks of glorious silky hair. (Who can’t use that self-esteem boost?)
- Most of the inner lining of your intestine is made of collagen, so boosting your collagen levels during pregnancy can really help your digestive system keep humming along. (Constipation and childbirth are not friends.)
I think I’ve made my point. Collagen protein is good for you. (Cheeseburger protein is just delicious.)
So where do you find collagen protein?
3 Reasons Why Every Pregnancy Diet
Can Use a Little Protiva
You find that awesome collagen in a yummy scoop of powder called Protiva. Here are three reasons I’m a fan.
Reason #1: Most Pregnant Mamas Have Low Protein Levels
A recent study showed that 85% of all pregnant women have protein levels at or below the minimal protein range in the 3rd Trimester. (For those of you playing at home, that’s between 6.8 and 8.3 (g/dl).
That’s a problem.
You need protein to keep your digestion healthy, your skin silky smooth, and even to speed up your childbirth recovery. Your baby needs protein to build strong neurons in the brain, healthy organs, and strong muscles to kick at the world.
If your normal diet (assuming 85% of us eat a normal diet) isn’t pulling its weight in the power-protein department, it’s time to up your pregnancy diet game and get some outside help.
Reason #2: Protiva Tastes Good
Protiva is versatile enough to slip into zillions of things. Try it…
- With milk for a calcium-collagen health shake
- In your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (Here’s mine.)
- Sprinkled on your morning oatmeal
- Added to pancake mix
- Blended into a sweet and healthy breakfast smoothie like the recipe below, developed by one of our Mighty Mom Testers!
Not ready to cook? Pin this image to your board, or click here to open in a browser to print.
Reason #3: It’s Clean and Guaranteed
Protiva is the first and ONLY protein drink for pregnant moms and breastfeeders to be clinically proven to boost protein levels, speed up childbirth recovery, and help with breastfeeding nutrition for both mom and baby. (Here’s the study proving it.)
Strapped for cash? You can get a prescription for Protiva from your doctor and have your HSA or FSA pay for (or reimburse you) for the purchase!
Here are a few other reasons I think you’ll be happy to try Protiva:
- It’s lactose, gluten, allergen, and preservative free
- It is non-GMO.
- There are no artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors added.
- They have a 30-day money back guarantee if you decide you don’t like the taste.
There’s no health risk. There’s no money risk. There’s no reason not to give it a try.
8 Lucky Readers will
Win Protiva Collagen Protein!
Since a few Mighty Mom Testers have already reported a happy experience with Protiva’s shakes, I’m excited to let several lucky readers share the same experience!
The ladies over at Protiva want to give a month’s supply of Protiva to eight lucky MightyMoms.club readers! Here’s how to participate.
- Anyone in the US is eligible to participate. (Sorry, my worldwide sisters. Shipping’s a bear.)
- Earn your random entries below.
- The giveaway starts at 12:00 a.m. CST on April 12th, 2019 and will close at 11:59 p.m. CST on April 18, 2019.
- The winners will be emailed on April 19th and will have 24 hours to respond before I’m forced to pick another random winner. 🙁
- You can see the complete list of rules here.
Don’t forget, we have eight winning readers, so get your entries added below!
Healthy Skin…Healthy Gut…
Life doesn’t slow down for pregnancy, unfortunately. Somehow you have to maintain your current crazy life while making sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs to create the next Einstein, LeBron, Billy Graham, or Brontë.
It’s easy to spend a lot of time thinking about what your pregnancy diet shouldn’t include, but you need to also spend time thinking about what you SHOULD eat.
After all, you know what they (as in me) say….
A scoop of Protiva keeps the grumpies away!
Who can be grumpy with hair like a goddess, skin like silk, a healthy baby kicking like crazy, and a body that’s primed to recover from childbirth faster than expected?
Add a little scoop of Protiva to your pregnancy diet this month. Your baby, hair, skin…husband…will thank you!
Have You Read These Yet?
- Pregnant? Here are the 4 Pregnancy Gifts You Need to Give Yourself
- 51 Unicorn Baby Shower Ideas That Will Enchant You
- Having a Baby for the First Time? Here’s What You Need to Recover
- Everything a New Mama Warrior Needs to Know About Baby Care
This article was sponsored by Protiva who also provided extra product for a few Mighty Moms Club members to try and report back. Our readers enjoyed the taste of the shake! If breakfast isn’t your strongest meal of the day, Protiva is the easiest protein-punch you’ll find all day.
We ♥ Citations
Response to Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein Supplementation in a Cohort of Pregnant and Postpartum Women. OmicsOnline.org
Collagen: Fountain of Youth? Or Edible Hoax? WebMD.com
Collagen: What is It and What’s It Good For? Healthline.com
Milk and Protein Intake by Pregnant Women Affects Growth of Fetus. NIH.gov
Heather is the Chief Encouragement Officer here at MightyMoms.club and has been writing and encouraging parents online since 2007. She’s a Certified Gentle Sleep Coach, has been a featured parenting expert writer on blogs like DaveRamsey.com, SimpleKids.net, Cafe Mom, and others. If it’s 2am and you’re desperate to read SOMETHING, check out her deepest darkest secrets, including why she really shouldn’t be allowed to blog.