- Babies2 – 6 Years
Teach Your Kids To Cook With the Best Kids CookbookLast updated: 17 Jan 2023Cooking is a lifelong skill and a way to bond with your family. Whether you’re helping your mom in the kitchen or learning to cook independently, cooking is a crucial part of any household. With eating out becoming the norm, passing along beloved family traditions is more important than ever. Help your kids fall in love with cooking by allowing them to lend a hand in the kitchen from a young age. Of course, that doesn't mean they should start preparing difficult dishes right away. There is so much a kid can do to assist you in the meal preparation process. They can start with small tasks like stirring, sifting and kneading. Once they’re familiar with these skills, they can start cooking small meals by using simple recipes out of a cookbook for kids. If you’re unsure about which book to get your little one, check out our recommendations for the finest kids cookbooks of 2023 below.Show ContentsHere Are the Top Kids Cookbooks of 2023
- 1 America’s Test Kitchen Kids Cookbook – Best Overall
- 2 Super Simple Baking for Kids – Best for Treats
- 3 Edible Crafts Kids’ Cookbook Ages 4-8 – Most Comprehensive
- 4 Kid Chef Bakes Kids Cookbook – Most Intriguing
- 5 Rockridge Press Kids Cookbook – Versatile Option
- 6 Little Helpers Kids Cookbook – Most Comprehensive
- 7 Little Bento Kids Cookbook – Most Intriguing
- 8 Good Housekeeping Kids Cookbook – Most Affordable
- 9 Baking Class Kids Cookbook – Best for Young Bakers
- 10 Food Network Magazine Kids Cookbook – Most Interactive
- 11 Disney Books Kids Cookbook – Best Introductory Cookbook
- 12 Jodi Danen’s Cookbook For Kids – Best for Learning
Buying Guide: Kids Cookbook
Since there is a wide range of kids-oriented cookbooks available on the market, finding the right one for your kid’s needs is not easy. That’s why we’ve compiled the following buyer’s guide to make your shopping experience easier.
Here’s How To Choose a Kids Cookbook
Not every cookbook will cater to the needs of your little one. You have to choose one according to their interests and age. Here are some other factors to look out for:
If your little one has just started cooking, their cookbook should contain relatively simple flavors and the recipes should be easy to make. Make sure that the combinations and instructions are clear and easy to follow so that your little chef faces minimum difficulty. A tricky recipe not only leads to unpleasant circumstances, it can also frustrate your child, possibly making them want to quit cooking altogether.
A good children’s recipe book always outlines the safety protocol at the beginning. Since you want your kid to remain safe in the potentially unsafe setting of your kitchen, you should avoid cookbooks that don’t prioritize or define a safety plan.
One way to get your kid interested in cooking is to choose a cookbook that appeals to their taste buds. Some kids have a sweet tooth, others are partial towards snacks, while some appreciate vegetables. You should prioritize their tastes and interests and choose a cookbook that they will enjoy experimenting with.
Knowing all about the different measurement units, conversion ratios, culinary terms and food substitutes is important in cooking. You may know most by heart, but your little chef needs them close by to be able to learn. You can find this additional content in many cookbooks for kids. Some cookbooks even come up with fun ways to make your child understand these complicated measurements. Prioritizing these books will make it easier for them to learn.
Food Safety Basics To Teach Your Kids
Here are some ground rules to cover with your child before they enter the kitchen:
- They should always wash their hands before and after handling food. Make sure they use warm and soapy water to remove germs.
- A chef’s hair should never hang down. Pull long hair away from the head and shoulders and tie it back. You can also use a chef cap for added security.
- Before starting to cook, make sure that the countertop and all the cooking utensils are clean.
- Never double-dip a spoon. Avoid putting a utensil in the food after it has been used for tasting.
- Wait until the food is ready before tasting. Avoid licking fingers or spoons.
- Instruct your kid to never put their hands in their mouth, especially when handling raw food like cake batter or cookie dough.
- Keep raw ingredients away from ready-to-eat foods.
- Always wash fruits and vegetables before use.
Here Are the Top Kids Cookbooks of 20231
Featuring more than 100 kid-friendly recipes, the kids cookbook by America’s Test Kitchen Kids is one of the top options available on the market. Ideal for young readers, this book uses simple, clear language for better interaction and understanding. Not only does this handy cookbook contain some of the yummiest recipes, it also contains testimonials from young chefs who have worked together to produce this masterpiece. This cookbook for kids is a great option for budding cooking enthusiasts who are looking to expand their cooking and baking horizons. Whether your kid wants to try their hand at making breakfast tacos or delicious desserts, this book will keep them busy all day. Thanks to its wide range of recipes covering all types of cuisines, we’ve chosen this kids cookbook as our best overall pick.
- 100+ recipes including 20 dessert recipes
- Recipes tested by 750+ kids
- Includes step-by-step photos
- Ingredient quantities may be confusing
Being good at baking is a lifelong skill that’ll pay dividends until your last breath, so why not teach it to your kids as early as possible? This Charity Mathews’ Kids Cookbook is designed to do just that, bringing 55 recipes of delicious treats that even a 6-year-old can bake and enjoy!
It all starts with very basic information and exercises like learning how to break an egg, separate the yolk from the white, or kneading dough. Mastering these basics, they can progress onto trying out recipes for muffins, cupcakes, cookies, and more!
- Very beginner-friendly and easy for kids
- Recipes use no more than 5-10 ingredients
- Delicious treats that all kids can enjoy
- Some recipes lack pictures
The two things kids love are engaging activities and treats, and this genius cookbook by Charity Mathews brings the two together for a winning combo! Written for preschoolers, this cookbook features fun crafting projects that you can not just create, but also eat at the end. Essentially, you’d be following simple instructions from the book to create a masterpiece out of nothing, and then eat it because guess what, the crafts are edible!
This book fills learning with flavors. The best part is that there are 25 different crafts or recipes to try out, so your kids will never get bored of this idea either!
- Some recipes are labeled dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free
- Very simple and easy instructions
- Keeps you busy and excited to taste
- Many projects require adult supervision
Baking isn’t limited to any age group, even kids as young as 8-year-old can prepare delicious treats for the entire family to munch on. This cookbook is created for 8 – 12-year-olds and has very simple step-by-step instructions that can turn any beginner into a baking wizard!
It’s not just a cookbook, but a whole culinary crash course that’s filled with tips for prepping up the kitchen, basic baking skills, and tons of recipes to die for! Thanks to its detailed guides and hands-on lessons, it teaches your kid a skill that’ll serve him or her for life.
- Very easy to use and follow
- Beginner-friendly baking guide to help kids start
- Useful tips for measuring solids vs liquids
- Lacks pictures
Cooking is an essential skill everyone should know, and what better age is there to instill the passion for cooking than in that adolescent 8-12-year-old range. We’ve come up with an amazing idea for a child’s gift in the Rockridge Press Kid Chef Box Set. These incredibly versatile kids’ cookbook features several different cultures and cuisines from all over the world while including an array of different baking and cooking recipes that’ll teach your child the basics of the essential art of cooking.
We were also pleasantly surprised by the amount of detail in the book that just goes above and beyond normal cookbooks these days.
- Features 75+ savory and sweet recipes
- Includes a section that contains cooking fundamentals
- Contains a massive array of different cuisines
- Written in easy English
- May not have enough photos
The Little Helpers Kids Cookbook is the perfect opportunity for parents who want to help their kids learn the basics of cooking. The whole book has a ton of different recipes for various meals, including Muffins, Pizzas, Broccoli Nuggets, Rainbow Rice Novels, and much more. Each recipe has a certain difficulty rank and clear instructions for the whole procedure. It’s mainly recommended for kids that are around four years old and have some kind of experience with cooking. In addition, the cookbook is written by Heather Wish Staller — a cooking instructor who teaches kids at preschools and educational centers. She loves working with children and helping parents.
- Comprehensive recipes
- Easy to follow
- The front of the book is relatively small
The Little Bento Kids Cookbook, written by Michele Oliver, is certainly one of the biggest creations in this niche. It contains over 100 seasonally inspired bento recipes and over 30 illustrative photos for easy guidance. You can even follow the weekly worksheet to plan everything upfront. The author is a food blogger and a professional food instructor. You will be able to order the cookbook in a kind or paperback version. It has over 178 pages and is written in standard English. Everyone will be able to follow the recipes — from total beginners to professional chefs. Your kids will love these new delicious meals!
- Magnificent kids meals
- Easy to follow
- There isn’t any serving size information
The Good Housekeeping Kids Cookbook is another great option for young chefs. This book promises a fun experience while delivering information in a colorful, creative manner. It contains more than 100 beginner-level recipes that are kid-friendly and delicious. Filled with cooking tips and appetizing pictures, this kids cookbook is one of the highest-rated options you’ll find on the market.
What’s more, the cookbook has a wide range of tempting recipes ranging from classic mac and cheese to scrumptious lasagne. Plus, the book keeps nutritional values in mind so your kiddo can have a healthy cooking experience. Lastly, if your kid wants to arrange a family meal, this cookbook offers recipe variations so they can personalize each dish.
- Features a variety of cuisines
- Recipe variations for different portion sizes
- Features colorful photos and helpful how-tos
- Recipes may be tricky for new chefs
The kids cookbook by Deanna F. Cook is a fantastic option for young aspiring bakers. It features more than 50 easy-to-follow recipes and a step-by-step guide with photos so your little one can easily follow along. Whether they’re learning to knead bread dough or mix cookie dough, these pictures will help your child achieve perfect results every time.
What’s more, this cookbook for kids makes a great guide for kids who like to follow instructions accurately. Featuring additional gifts — such as bake sale labels, stickers and gift tags — this cookbook is a special addition to your little chef’s kitchen. Plus, these extra items allow your child to add a touch of style to their final results.
- Includes 50+ baking recipes
- Comes with stickers, labels and tags
- Features a step-by-step picture guide
- Not suitable kids under 8
- Spiral spine is flimsy
The Food Network Magazine Kids Cookbook is a fun addition to any young chef’s collection. Suitable for ages 6 to 11, this cookbook features more than 150 exciting recipes. Plus, it comes with additional interactive features — like a bonus coloring book and fun food games and quizzes — that take the enjoyment to the next level.
Thanks to its versatile nature, this cookbook will help your child create a wide range of different foods. It contains everything ranging from a healthy breakfast to creative desserts for the days when they’re feeling adventurous.
- Includes bonus interactive features
- Features choose-your-own-adventure recipes
- Includes helpful cooking tips and photos
- Motivates beginner chefs
- Recipes are not very nutritious
- Many recipes require adult assistance
The Disney Books Kids Cookbook uses popular Disney princesses to inspire young chefs to get into the kitchen and cook up some dishes. Containing 50+ Disney-inspired dishes, ranging from Rapunzel’s frying pan eggs to Moanna’s fruit punch, each recipe shows a difficulty level so that you can evaluate it before starting.
What’s more, this cookbook for kids features bonus menus to encourage young chefs to experiment in the kitchen and create new dishes. With pictures and illustrations of the highly celebrated princesses to help bring your little one’s magical fantasies to life, this kids cookbook is a wonderful addition to any food lover’s cookbook collection.
- Features easy-to-follow recipes
- Includes difficulty ratings for each dish
- Includes an introduction to kitchen basics
- Doesn’t include nutritional values
Cooking may be a tiring chore to most adults, but it’s actually an exciting activity to learn for kids — especially when they’re in the 8 – 12 years range. That’s exactly what this incredible cookbook is for! With 50 fun recipes inside, the author believes that cooking should be just as fun as indulging in the final product, and we agree! If your kid seems to show some interest in cooking, why not have him try some recipes on his own under your supervision?
Since it’s for kids, all 50 recipes require no more than five to 10 ingredients each to keep things simple. They’re also nutritious, while still being delicious enough to please your little chef — no matter how much of a picky eater they may be! We love that the cookbook is also filled with interesting fun facts about food that piques your child’s mind and keeps them hooked throughout the experience! It’s a great way to teach your little ones about the basics of cooking with a hands-on approach.
- All 50 recipes are delicious and kid-friendly
- All dishes require only 5-10 ingredients
- Author has 20 years of dietician experience
- Could use some more photos